Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory

 
 
Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, August 8, 2009
1. Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory Marker
Inscription. In the fall of 1878 the Sisters of St. Joseph came to Prescott. Money was raised in the community for a hospital to be run by the sisters and by 1881 the hospital had been completed on North Marina Street. In June of 1891 construction was started next door on Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The church was designed by Frank Parker under the direction of Father Alfred Quetu. Fr. Quetu was the prime mover behind the building of the church. The first services were held on February 17, 1895.

Sacred Heart Catholic Church is a substantial brick structure in the “Sober Gothic Style” featuring pointed arches, decorative brickwork and two colors of local rhyolitic tuff stone for trim and the foundation. It is one of the best examples of religious architecture in Arizona. Originally, the church had a steeple 115 feet tall. After being struck by lightning several times, it was removed in 1930. In 1915, the old hospital was torn down and the Rectory was built next door. A new hospital had been built on Grove Avenue in 1898, and the name was changed to Sisters of Mercy Hospital.

June 13, 1969 was the last time the church was used for religious services. In 1969 the Prescott Fine Arts Association acquired the property for a theater and art gallery, an excellent example of adaptation of a historically significant building
Street view of Sacred Heart Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, August 8, 2009
2. Street view of Sacred Heart Catholic Church
for re-use for the benefit of the community. The church and rectory are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected by The City of Prescott.
 
Location. 34° 32.636′ N, 112° 28.045′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on North Marina Street., on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The building is now the Prescott Fine Arts Association. Marker is in this post office area: Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. I. Gardner Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Head Hotel (about 600 feet away); Santa Fe Depot (about 600 feet away); Hassayampa Inn (about 600 feet away); The Day Octagon (about 700 feet away); Prescott National Bank (about 800 feet away); The Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Ehle Family and the Montezuma Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
 
Regarding Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 14, 1978.
 
Also see . . .  Prescott Past. This personal blog gives information as well as
Door Detail of Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, August 8, 2009
3. Door Detail of Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory
Now the Prescott Fine Arts Theater
photos of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. (Submitted on August 13, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
Sacred Heart Catholic Church National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Joseph Cavinato, January 25, 2003
4. Sacred Heart Catholic Church National Register of Historic Places Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement