Fort George Island in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of the Mission of San Juan del Puerto
The establishment of missions chiefly for the purpose of Christianizing the Indian population was one of the methods used by Spain in attempting to colonize Florida in the sixteenth century. The Mission of San Juan del Puerto was founded in the late 1500's by the Franciscan Order of friars to serve the Timucuan Indians living in the area. While working at this mission around 1600 Father Francisco Pareja prepared a Timucuan dictionary, grammar and several religious books in that language for use by the Indians. The Mission of San Juan del Puerto continued to exist throughout the seventeenth century in spite of the growing
conflict between Florida's Spanish inhabitants and English and French invaders. In 1696, Jonathan Dickinson, a Philadelphia Quaker who had been shipwrecked off the coast of Florida, passed this way and recorded a visit to "the town of St. Wans, a large town and many people." In 1702, Governor James Moore of the British Colony of South Carolina attempted to take St. Augustine from the Spanish. His effort failed, but in the process of the raid into Spanish territory, Moore destroyed the Spanish
Erected 1973 by Jacksonville Historical Society in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-211.)
Location. 30° 25.681′ N, 81° 25.528′ W. Marker is in Fort George Island, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is on Ft. George Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located at the Fort George Island State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville FL 32226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort George Island (a few steps from this marker); Ribault Club Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Cabins (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Slave Cabins (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Slave Cabins (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Slave Cabins (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Slave Cabins (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Slave Cabins (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort George Island.
More about this marker. Marker was newly placed on August 7, 2009.
Additional keywords. Fort George
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Site of the Mission of San Juan del Puerto.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 2,278 times since then and 42 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week September 13, 2009. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on July 11, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on August 15, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.