Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Erected by City of Prescott.
Location. 34° 32.704′ N, 112° 27.498′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on East Sheldon Street. Touch for map. The cemetery is opposite 820 East Sheldon Street (an airport shuttle office/station). The marker can be seen from the street, but it is in the cemetery about a hundred feet on the left side of the main drive. Marker is in this post office area: Prescott AZ 86303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. VFW Bucky O'Neill Post No. 541 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grace M. Sparkes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prescott National Guard Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away); City Park and Ballfield (approx. ľ mile away); Site of the O'Neill/Munds House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington School (approx. half a mile away); Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club (approx. half a mile away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
From the Yavapai County Azgenweb Site – Yavapai County Cemeteries:
“Citizens Cemetery, located at 815 East Sheldon Street , Prescott, Arizona, began in early June 1864 with the burial, on public land, of Colorado Legislator Joel Woods. His obituary, in the Arizona Miner on June 22, 1864, stated that the Hon. Mr. Woods was buried “on a beautiful ground just east of the town which will be reserved for a public cemetery.” At various times since, it was known as Town Cemetery, Prescott Cemetery, City Cemetery, County Cemetery and Citizens Burying Ground. The United States deeded the land to Virginia Koch in 1876. After later changes in ownership, Citizens Cemetery was sold to Yavapai County in 1884. This entity has retained ownership since that time.
The cemetery has more than 2,700 known (and many unknown) pioneers interred on 6.5 acres. Burials continued on a regular basis from 1864 to 1933. Following 1933, burials were held only for persons or family members who had already reserved a plot. In August 1994, Citizens Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places and later included in the Prescott Armory Historic Preservation District. In order to protect the historic integrity of the cemetery, the Board of Supervisors
Citizens Cemetery is populated with a wide spectrum of individuals—miners, ranchers, merchants, soldiers, and pioneer wives and children--who settled and developed central and northern Arizona during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The very young share their final rest with the very old, the wealthy with the poor and the bad with the good.
One of the most notable people buried in the cemetery is Crawley P. Dake, seventh United States Marshal in the Arizona Territory, serving during the time of the Earp brothers. Much less notable, but very infamous, was James Fleming Parker, known locally as a train robber, horse thief and for killing the assistant district attorney at the courthouse. He was interred in the potterís field following his public hanging for the latter crime. Each person interred at the cemetery contributed to the founding and growth of this area. Their stories provide the history of Yavapai County.
The Yavapai Cemetery Association, a group of volunteers, has been in a working partnership with the Yavapai County Board of Supervisors since February 1995. It is the associationís goal to restore the cemetery in order to reflect its significance as a historical landmark. Repair, maintenance, landscaping and historical documentation are among the many projects involved in the on-going restoration
— Submitted August 15, 2009.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,912 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. 4, 5. submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.