Atco in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Camp Site, Federal 23d Corps.
They were immediately followed by Schofieldís 23d Corps, [US] which encamped in this vicinity. While here, troops of Coxís Div. [US] were sent to destroy the Cooper Iron Works, (site of Allatoona Dam), May 21-22.
From this camp-site, the corps marched to the Etowah at Milamís Bridge, on 23rd.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 10.774′ N, 84° 48.894′ W. Marker is in Atco, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is on Cassville Road (Georgia Route 293) 0.1 miles south of Goodyear Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pierce Manning Butler Young, (1836-1896) (approx. 0.4 miles away); John W. Akin (approx. half a mile away); Home of Sam P Jones (approx. 1.2 Site of Sam Jones' Tabernacle (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bartow County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Bartow County Courthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); God Bless America (approx. 1.4 miles away); Private First Class Jerry Wayne Gentry (approx. 1Ĺ miles away).
Regarding Pettit Creek. Atco a small community, was named for the American Textile Company, founded in the early 20th century. The community was built around the mill in a pattern typical of Georgia mill towns. The American Textile Company was purchased by the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company prior to the mid-1930s. The mill is now closed, and Atco is a surburb of Cartersville.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,365 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.