Hancocks Bridge in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hancock House Historic Site
Known as stugas, which translates to “room inside.” These cabins were built in small clusters or stood alone, depending on the size of the farm. Swedish settlers established small communities throughout Salem, clearing only enough land to farm.
This cabin was rebuilt in 1913 using lumber that is over 400 years old. It was salvaged from the property of John J. Tyler in Salem. The cabin’s construction follows the traditional building techniques of the seventeenth-century, with four-inch thick side planks, dovetailed corners, a fireplace and wooden pins instead of nails.
Erected by State of New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry.
Location. 39° 30.497′ N, 75° 27.598′ W. Marker is in Hancocks Bridge, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker is on Locust Island Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located near the historic Hancock House. Marker is in this post office area: Hancocks Bridge NJ 08038, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Patriots Massacred in the Hancock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Patterned Brick Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock House Massacre (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Bridges at this Location (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alloway Creek Watershed (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Waving Acres of Grass (about 300 feet away); Quinton’s Bridge (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hancocks Bridge.
More about this marker. Several photos appear on the marker, including an “Historic photo of the Swedish Cabin,” a picture of the “Cabin Interior 1934. The woodwork on either side of the fireplace came from two local houses, the Abel Nicholson House (1722) and the John Oakford House (1764), when the cabin was built as an interpretive project by the CWA (Civil Works Administration),” a photo of the “Tyler Cabin from which the lumber was obtained to build the Swedish cabin,” and a picture of settlers raising or mining buried cedar timber, which has a caption of “White cedar was ‘mined’ from the swamp by teams of men excavating the logs. Originally, cedar trees grew
Also see . . . Hancock House. New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry webpage. (Submitted on August 16, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 992 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.