Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Talking Rock in Pickens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station

—→

 
 
Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
1. Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker
Inscription. Just west of here in 1819 the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions established a mission station to the Cherokee Indians. Moody Hall and Henry Parker were the first missionaries sent to Carmel (originally known as Taloney), March 12, 1831. Rev. Isaac Proctor, then residing here, was arrested by the Georgia Guard for not complying with the new state law requiring all white men residing on Cherokee land now claimed by Georgia, to apply for licenses to remain and take an oath of allegiance to the State. Many of the missionaries abstained, feeling that Georgia had no power to enforce her laws over land rightfully belonging to the Cherokees. Rev. Daniel S. Butrick, also a missionary at Carmel, away at the time, escaped arrest. Rev. Proctor and the other missionaries which were arrested were released very shortly on grounds that they were agents of the U.S. Government in the educating of the Cherokees. Soon afterwards the issue again became critical and, rather than take the oath of allegiance, Butrick and Proctor left Georgia.

Rev. Proctor remained in that portion of the Cherokee Nation now Tennessee and started a new mission. Carmel continued in existence until 1839.
 
Erected 1962 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 112-5.)
 
Marker series.
Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
2. Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker
Looking southeast on Georgia Highway 136 toward the intersection with Georgia 515/Georgia 5, the Zell Miller Parkway
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 31.15′ N, 84° 31.417′ W. Marker is near Talking Rock, Georgia, in Pickens County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 136 and Ellijay Road (Georgia Route 382), on the right when traveling east on State Route 136. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Talking Rock GA 30175, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Federal Road (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); The Zell Miller Mountain Parkway (approx. 1.6 miles away); Federal Road Cisca St. Augustine Trail (approx. 2.7 miles away); Oglethorpe Monument (approx. 6.3 miles away); Old Pickens County Jail (approx. 6.3 miles away); Pickens County (approx. 6.3 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Talking Rock.
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2009
3. Site of Carmel (Taloney) Mission Station Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,092 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement