Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burlington in Chittenden County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Site of the American House

1808 - 1893

 
 
The American House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 4, 2009
1. The American House Marker
Inscription.
Site of
the American House
1808-1893
Presidents Monroe, Van Buren, Pierce, Grant
Generals Scott, Wool, Hampton
Henry Clay, and other famous famous
people entertained here.

 
Location. 44° 28.546′ N, 73° 12.826′ W. Marker is in Burlington, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 2) and St. Paul Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Across Main Street from City Hall Park. Marker is in this post office area: Burlington VT 05401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Hall Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain John Lonergan (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church Street Marketplace (about 300 feet away); Church Street (about 300 feet away); Burlington Civil War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Chittenden County Trust Company (about 400 feet away); Site of the Old Gas Station (about 500 feet away); Celebrating Champlain (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
 
Additional keywords. Hotel Vermont.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
The Hotel Vermont Building--Site of the "American House" image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 4, 2009
2. The Hotel Vermont Building--Site of the "American House"
Constructed in 1910, at seven stories, it is still one of the tallest buildings in Vermont. Marker is visible near the lamp post, below the sign for Souza's Churrascaria, lower middle.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,043 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement