Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Blanding Street

 
 
Blanding Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Blanding Street Marker
Inscription. Originally named Walnut Street, Blanding Street was by 1869 renamed for Abram Blanding, a Massachusetts native who came to Columbia in 1797 to take charge of Columbia Male Academy. Blanding was admitted to the bar in 1802 and served two terms in the legislature. He built the city's first water works, was a Trustee of South Carolina College, and S.C. Superintendent of Public Works. His house was located on the NW corner of Blanding and Marion streets. Blanding died in 1839.
 
Erected 1978 by Richland County Bicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 40-66.)
 
Location. 34° 0.467′ N, 81° 2.167′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Blanding Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sidney Park C.M.E. Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Taylor Street (about 500 feet away); Laurel Street (about 500 feet away); Columbia City Hall (about 600 feet away); Ladson Presbyterian Church
Blanding Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, July 25, 2011
2. Blanding Street Marker
(about 600 feet away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (about 700 feet away but has been reported missing); Jefferson Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Blanding House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Also see . . .  A Brief History of Columbia. Abram Blanding, the town's first school teacher and attorney, built Columbia's first waterworks. Pumping water with a steam engine to a wooden tank, water was carried by cast iron and lead pipes to the homes and businesses of the city. (Submitted on August 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Blanding Street Marker at Main Street intersection image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 16, 2009
3. Blanding Street Marker at Main Street intersection
Blanding Street Marker, looking south along Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 16, 2009
4. Blanding Street Marker, looking south along Main Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 637 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2. submitted on September 13, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on August 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement