Mammoth Lakes in Mono County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Historic Knight Wheel
This high pressure, low volume wheel was ultimately moved to it’s present location in 1902 and converted to an electric generating plant for the Wildasinn Hotel nearby. In the 1920’s, it also supplied electricity to Charlie Summer’s Mammoth Camp.
The adjacent structure housed the generator and is the oldest known building in Mammoth. The log cabin just north was also built in the early 1900’s.
Erected by Southern Mono Historical Society / Dempsey Construction Company.
Location. 37° 37.901′ N, 118° 58.46′ W. Marker is in Mammoth Lakes, California, in Mono County. Marker is on Old Mammoth Road half a mile west of Minaret Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mammoth Lakes CA 93546, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old French Trail (approx. half a mile away); Temple of Folly (approx. 0.7 miles away); Margaret & Emmett Hayden Cabin The Tavern (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Mammoth Saloon (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mammoth City (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Mammoth Consolidated Gold Mine (approx. 2.9 miles away); Casa Diablo (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mammoth Lakes.
Also see . . .
1. How Samuel Knight Created Hydro-Electric Power. Article about the Amador Canal and Samuel Knight, published in the Amador Ledger Dispatch on January 24, 2007. (Submitted on August 31, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Knight Foundry. Also see Knight Foundry Marker - Amador County, California (Submitted on August 19, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Additional keywords. Mining Towns, Equipment
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2007, by Thomas O'Conor of Northridge, California. This page has been viewed 3,426 times since then and 80 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week September 16, 2007. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 28, 2007, by Thomas O'Conor of Northridge, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.