Stafford in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
From Indian Path to Highway
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-50.)
Location. 38° 24.164′ N, 77° 25.252′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. Rt 1), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stafford VA 22554, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stafford Training School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trooper Jessica Jean Cheney (approx. 0.8 miles away); 11th Corps Road Union Army Double-Track Corduroy Road (approx. one mile away); German-Americans and the Eleventh Corps (approx. one mile away); Union Battery (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Union Battery (approx. one mile away); The Daniel Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stafford.
More about this marker. This marker replaced one with the same number but titled “Indian Trail” erected in the late 1920s or early 1930s that read, “Here ran the original Indian trail. In 1664 a road was opened here and in 1666 it was extended to Aquia Creek. In 1750 this became a post road. In September, 1781, Washington passed over this road on the way to Yorktown, and over it the French army later marched north.”
Also see . . . What Route 1 was like in 1919. A picture postcard from the Prince William Public Library System Digital Library. Caption of postcard is: This is how it was in 1919 for travelers between Richmond and Washington along what later was to become US Route 1. Shown is the Dumfries area in Prince William County... (Submitted on August 28, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Colonial Era • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,795 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.