Maumee in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Great Trail
Marks the Path
Made previous to the
French and Indian War
By the Indians
Who called it
THE GREAT TRAIL
It extended from Detroit to
Pittsburg and was used by the
French and British and by
General Harrison in 1812.
It was regarded as the most important
Early Route of the Central West.
Erected 1913 by Ursula Wolcott Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 41° 34.535′ N, 83° 37.364′ W. Marker is in Maumee, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of Detroit Avenue and River Road, on the right when traveling north on Detroit Avenue. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the northeast corner of the intersection where Detroit Avenue begins it's journey north to Detroit, Michigan. Detroit Avenue was built atop the Indian pathway known as the Great Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Maumee OH 43537, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Indian Wars (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Miamis (approx. 41st Regiment of Foot - War of 1812 / Private Patrick Russell (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Fort Miamis (approx. ¼ mile away); Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site (approx. ¼ mile away); British Betray Indian Allies (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lucas County Children's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Running a Gauntlet (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maumee.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Military • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War of 1812 • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,243 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.