Near Endeavor in Marquette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Wee White Kirk
In the year of 1865 the congregation had grown sufficiently to warrant the need of a central place of worship.
In that year a church was erected on land which was donated to the General Assembly by William and Adeline Sutfin. John Muir's father was among the first to conduct services here.
In 1905 lack of membership closed the doors on the Wee White Kirk.
Andrew Reid, Charles and Owen Owens donated the Cemetery grounds to The Buffalo U.P. Cemetery Association.
The sect of the United Presbyterian Church of North America passed into oblivion in 1951, at that time a quit-claim deed left the church to the Cemetery Association.
The preservation of the Wee Kirk and the painstaking care of the cemetery grounds testify to the love and esteem of past generations, to God and to their forbears.
Given in Memory of Byron and Wyona McReath by the McReath Family in 1972
Erected 1972 by the McReath Family.
Location. 43° 40.345′ N, 89° 21.658′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N909 13th Road, Endeavor WI 53930, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Muir, Foster Son of Wisconsin (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Muir Memorial Park (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Muir Country (approx. 3.8 miles away); Potters' Emigration Society (approx. 4.1 miles away); Walter March Ellis (approx. 6 miles away); Montello Historical District (approx. 8.4 miles away); Montello Granite (approx. 8.5 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Endeavor.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,002 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.