Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Scandinavia in Waupaca County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer

 
 
Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 4, 2009
1. Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer Marker
Inscription. Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, first Lutheran church in Waupaca county, was built in 1856 directly across the road. It was enlarged in the form of a Cross in 1867, and demolished in 1928. Pastor Nils Brandt dedicated the cemetery June 6, 1853. O. F. Duus, first resident pastor called from Norway, served from 1854-58. Before Scandinavia township was incorporated in 1854, this area was known as Waupaca Settlement or "the Indian Land." The first Norwegian pioneers arrived August 20, 1850.
 
Erected 1968 by a local committee.
 
Location. 44° 28.524′ N, 89° 9.251′ W. Marker is near Scandinavia, Wisconsin, in Waupaca County. Marker is on County Highway G 0.8 miles north of County Highway B, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is along the front edge of Scandinavia Lutheran Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Scandinavia WI 54977, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Iola’s Dr. Loope (approx. 2.5 miles away); Birthplace of Numismatic News (approx. 2.5 miles away); 1999 Father's Day Fire (approx. 2.5 miles away); Iola’s Early History
Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 11, 2009
2. Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer Marker
(approx. 2.5 miles away); The “Spud Alley” Era (approx. 2.5 miles away); Iola Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Iola Mills (approx. 2.7 miles away); Birthplace of the Iola Old Car Show (approx. 2.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Funds for the memorial were raised under the sponsorship of a local committee which included Mrs. William Wallace, treasurer, Miss Lillie Leppen and Carl Evenson. An appeal for donations was made through the Iola Herald and nearly $800 was sent in.
The memorial stands on a strip of land owned by the Scandinavia Cemetery Association off County Trunk G, or "old 49." A special fund is being donated by the committee to the cemetery association for perpetual care.
The metal plaque in the marker includes a reproduction of a photograph of the one-time "Cross Church" which stood on the east side of the road from the cemetery.
—excerpt from Stevens Point Daily Journal; May 9, 1968
 
Also see . . .  Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church. (Submitted on August 24, 2009.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Scandinavia Lutheran Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 11, 2009
3. Scandinavia Lutheran Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 701 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement