Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Israelite Sunday School / Columbia's First Synagogue
The Israelite Sunday School, the first Jewish religious school in Columbia and the seventh in the United States, met in a building on this site until 1865. Founded in 1843 to give the city's Jewish children "an intimate... and full exposition of our faith," it was supported by the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society. Its 20-30 students first met nearby in space donated by a member of the society.
Columbia's First Synagogue
In 1846 the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society built a frame building on this site for the Israelite Sunday School which met on the first floor. The society also organized the first formal congregtion in Columbia, which was named Shearith Israel (Remnant of Israel), with its synagogue on the second floor. The building was burned when General William T. Sherman's Federalists captured the city in 1865.
Erected 2008 by The Beth Shalom Synagogue , The Tree of Life Temple and the Jewish Historical Society of S.C. (Marker Number 40-151.)
Location. 34° 0.239′ N, 81° 2.192′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Assembly Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between Washington
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North Carolina Mutual Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Big Apple (about 500 feet away); Nathaniel J. Frederick House (about 500 feet away); Washington Street (about 600 feet away); St. Peter's Church and Ursuline Convent (about 600 feet away); Courthouse Square (about 600 feet away); St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Vietnam Veterans & POWs (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . Dedication of Historical Marker. (Submitted on August 25, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 855 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 25, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.