Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
South Carolina Women of the Confederacy Monument
South Carolina Women
Of The Confederacy
By The Men Of Their State
Generations unborn shall hear the voice
Of a grateful people
Testifying to the sublime devotion
Of the women of South Carolina
In their country's need.
Their unconquerable spirit
Strengthened the thin lines of gray.
Their tender care was solace to the stricken.
Reverence for God
and unfaltering faith in a righteous cause
Inspired heroism that survived
The immolation of sons
and courage that bore the agony of suspense
and the shock of disaster.
The tragedy of the Confederacy may be forgotten
But the fruits of the noble service
Of the Daughters of the South
Are our perpetual heritage.
they faced the future
undismayed by problems
and fearless of trials
in loving effort to heal
their country's wounds
and with conviction
that from the ashes of ruin
would come resurrection
with glorious vindication
Inscription by William E. Gonzales.
When want displaced plenty
When mourning for the flower of southern manhood
darkened countless homes
When government tottered and chaos threatened
the women were steadfast and unafraid.
Unchanged in their devotion
Unshaken in their patriotism
Unwearied in ministrations
Uncomplaining in sacrifices.
Splendid in fortitude
they, strong while they wept,
in the rebuilding after the desolation
their virtues stood
as the supreme citadel
with strong towers of faith and hope
around which civilization rallied
Erected 1912 by State of South Carolina,United Sons & Daughters of the Confederacy, South Carolina.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 33° 59.926′ N, 81° 1.947′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Pendleton Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between Assembly and Sumter Streets, on the south lawn of Capital grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capitol Complex (within shouting distance Liberty Bell Reproduction (within shouting distance of this marker); Strom Thurmond (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wade Hampton (about 300 feet away); Richardson Square (about 400 feet away); Quoin-Stones (about 600 feet away); Shermans Artillery (about 600 feet away); Spanish-American War Cannon (about 600 feet away); African-American History Monument (about 600 feet away); Senate Street (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding South Carolina Women of the Confederacy Monument. Siris entry: Monument to South Carolina Women of the Confederacy, (sculpture).
Artist: Ruckstull, Frederic Wellington, 1853-1942, sculptor.
Fonderie Nationale des Bronzes, founder.
Wilson & Sompayrac, architectural firm.
Title: Monument to South Carolina Women of the Confederacy, (sculpture).
Date: Commissioned 1909. 1911. Dedicated April 11, 1912.
Owner: Co Administered by State of South Carolina, Building Services, Columbia, South Carolina
Co Administered by United Sons & Daughters of the Confederacy, South Carolina
Located South Carolina State House, Columbia, South Carolina
Control_Number: 77006081 Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C.
Also see . . . Frederick Ruckstull. Frederick Wellington Ruckstull (May 22, 1853 - May 26, 1942) was a French-born American sculptor and art critic. (Submitted on August 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Frederick Wellington Ruckstull and the SC Women of the Confederacy Monument
With the State House substantially complete, attention turned to the condition of the grounds. The Wade Hampton monument was the first major project and it fore-shadowed things to come. Frederick Wellington Ruckstull (1853-1942), the sculptor who made the Hampton monument, would later make both the Women of the Confederacy statue and the columnar memorial to the Revolutionary Partisan Generals. All would be in the American Renaissance Style; all were related to specific works of art elsewhere, and all expressed specifically local sentiments...
The Hampton Monument was created
Walker's proposal was approved at the 1906 convention of the USCV, and The Confederate Veteran, the official newsletter of the United Confederate Veterans, the
Before a final decision was reached in the regional competition, the South Carolina legislature established a commission "to Provide a Monument to the Heroism, Fidelity and Fortitude of the Women of South Carolina during the War Between the Confederate States and the United States." General Walker was appointed to the commission and they contacted Ruckstull to create the monument. Once again, as he had done with the Hampton Monument, Ruckstull went to France, this time to St. Leu near Paris, where he spent the next two years preparing the full-sized model. The sculpture was cast in Brussels, then shipped via New York, and unveiled on the south side of the State House, facing south, on April 11, 1912. In Columbia for the unveiling of the Women's Monument, he told a local reporter:
"...there is a large symbolism in the group. The figure at the rear and the two smaller figures at the sides stand for the State of South Carolina
The figure of the Confederate matron is seated in a throne of State with the Bible, the main comfort and strength of the women of the Confederacy, in her lap. Her dress is of homespun of the plain character worn by the women during the war. She is looking out into space with a firm, serene and courageous look, meditating over the past and the future." (Source: Creating the South Carolina State House by John Morrill Bryan (1999), pg 125, 128, 130.)
— Submitted August 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Civil • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,333 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 25, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on August 14, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. 8, 9. submitted on August 29, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.