Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Maumee and Western Reserve Road / Turnpike Milestones
Ohio Historical Marker
Sandusky Street (U.S. Highway 20) is the former Maumee and Western Reserve Turnpike. Native American tribes northwest of the Ohio River ceded the right of way for this 46-mile road to the federal government in the Treaty of Brownstown in 1808. This narrow strip ran in a nearly straight line from the lower Maumee River rapids through the Black Swamp to the boundary of the Western Reserve, and included one mile of land on either side of the 120-foot wide road. In 1823 Congress gave the land to the state of Ohio, and a crude roadway was cleared by 1827. Land sales financed roadbuilding and maintenance. Notoriously impassible during the wet seasons, the "Mud Pike" was surfaced with gravel in 1838.
[Reverse Side]: "Turnpike Milestones"
The triangular limestone marker located here is of one of thirty original milestones along the old Maumee and Western Reserve Turnpike, which was established by treaty in 1808 and by 1827 extended from Perrysburg to Bellevue. These milestones were placed in 1842, shortly after the state upgraded the road from a muddy quagmire to a then-modern gravel or "macadamized" surface, and improved drainage alongside it. On the right face of each milestone is the letter "P" for Perrysburg; on the left face are
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Historic Perrysburg, Inc., and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-87.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 33.338′ N, 83° 36.995′ W. Marker is in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of Sandusky Street (U.S. 20) and Hickory Street, on the right when traveling west on Sandusky Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Wood County Jail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Perrysburg / Perrysburg Plat Map (approx. 0.8 miles away); History Happened Here (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Strategic Location (approx. 1.2 miles away); Running a Gauntlet (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Miamis During the War of 1812 (approx. 1.2 miles away); British Betray Indian Allies (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
Also see . . .
1. A Bridge Across the Great Black Swamp... (Submitted on August 25, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. The Maumee & Western Reserve Road. (Submitted on August 25, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. The Maumee and Western Reserve Rd. This web link was made available by Brian Reynolds. (Submitted on August 25, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,050 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 25, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.