Parma in Canyon County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Old Fort Boise
Fur trading declined, but this British post became famous for its hospitality to American travellers on the Oregon Trail. An 1845 report spoke of "two acres of land under cultivation...1,991 sheep, 73 pigs, 17 horses, and 27 meat cattle - a welcome oasis at the ford of Snake River after 300 thirsty miles from Fort Hall. A flood in 1853 washed away the adobe buildings, and Indian trouble forced the Company to abandon the post two years later.
Erected by Idaho Historical Society. (Marker Number 85.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society, and the Oregon Trail marker series.
Location. 43° 46.786′ N, 116° 55.941′ W. Marker is in Parma, Idaho, in Canyon County. Marker is on Parma Road 0 miles west of Parma Rd., on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located close to the Old Fort Boise Replica at the east entrance to the city. Marker is in this post office area: Parma ID 83660, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marie Dorion (here, next Lower Boise (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Regarding Old Fort Boise. Old Fort Boise was built in 1834 by the British Hudson's Bay Company near the confluence of the Boise and Snake Rivers. It was built for the purpose of diverting Indian fur trade from Fort Hall to the east. After the fur trade dwindled, Old Fort Boise remained as a vital supply center during the height of the westward moment of settlers along the Oregon Trail.
After the 1853 flood that washed away the fort, the Hudson's Bay Company attempted to rebuild it. However, the increasing hostility of Indians and the loss of British prestige in the Northwest forced it to be abandoned.
Additional keywords. Oregon trail, Hudson bay company
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2009, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. This page has been viewed 2,137 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2009, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.