Scottsburg in Scott County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Scott County Courthouse
County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1820. First county seat located at Lexington; first courthouse built 1821. Several attempts made 1822-1870 to move county seat to more central location, creating animosity among citizens. Scottsburg designated second county seat and plat recorded 1871; second county courthouse built here 1873-1874.
Courthouse designed in Italianate style by Andrew R. Baty 1871. Cornerstone not laid until 1873 because injunction stopped county seat relocation proceedings. Structure renovated 1979. Addition in 1997 tripled courthouse space; 1874 courthouse remains as west wing.
Erected 2001 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Preservation Alliance, Inc., Scott County Community Foundation. (Marker Number 72.2001.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 41.138′ N, 85° 46.215′ W. Marker is in Scottsburg, Indiana, in Scott County. Marker is at the intersection of East McClain Avenue and South Main Street, on the right when traveling east on East McClain Avenue. Touch for map. on the North/West corner of the Scott County Courthouse
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scott County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); William Hayden English (within shouting distance of this marker); Scottsburg Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scott County's Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away); Lake Iola Interurban Site (approx. ¾ mile away); Scott County Home (was approx. 0.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Marshfield Train Robbery (approx. 2 miles away); Morgan's Great Raid (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsburg.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 818 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on August 31, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.