Orleans in Orange County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Orleans Congress Square
Orleans was platted March 11, 1815. This town square, called Congress Square, was part of the plat. Orleans Academy was built here 1866, in operation by 1867. In 1870s, the Academy was purchased, and its building was made part of the public schools. The building remained in use until razed October 7, 1963. After 1963, a park was built here.
Orleans Town Park was rededicated June 7, 2001 as part of a downtown revitalization. The restored bandstand nearby was built in 1926. As in many other towns and cities, Congress Square has been the center of educational, social, political, and business activity, creating a strong sense of community throughout Orleans' history.
Erected 2004 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Town of Orleans. (Marker Number 59.2004.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 39.72′ N, 86° 27.184′ W. Marker is in Orleans, Indiana, in Orange County. Marker is on South Maple Street south of West Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. located in the "old" Town Square of Orleans, Indiana. Marker is in this post office area: Orleans IN 47452, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Orleans School Bell (here, next to this marker); Orleans War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Orleans Area War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Freeman Corner (approx. one mile away); Freeman's Corner (approx. one mile away); Orange County Courthouse (approx. 7.4 miles away); Orange County Honor Roll (approx. 7.4 miles away); Orange County Civil War Memorial (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orleans.
Categories. • Communications • Entertainment • Government • Landmarks • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,145 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on August 31, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.