St Joseph in Buchanan County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Construction of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad in 1859 and the depot on South 8th Street increased "Patee Town" activity. The excitement of the short-lived Pony Express and the legend of outlaw Jesse James, (who lived in the area) centered around this neighborhood. Patee, considered the wealthiest man in St. Joseph, gave the city a square block of land. now known as Patee Park.
"Patee Town" experienced continued building activity through the years. Commercial development remained concentrated along the western and southern fringes. Residential construction in the neighborhood was substantial throughout the 1890-1915 period.
Surviving dwellings exhibit characteristics that relate them to their period's historic context.
Location. 39° 45.385′ N, 94° 50.886′ W. Marker is in St Joseph, Missouri Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Joseph MO 64502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Civil War in St. Joseph (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Pony Express (within shouting distance of this marker); Patee Park Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Joseph (within shouting distance of this marker); C. B. & Q. 5614 Steam Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker); Patee House - 1858 (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Patee House (about 800 feet away); The Patee House In The Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Patee Town. Wikipedia Link to some of the history and buildings in Patee Town. (Submitted on August 31, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
2. St Joseph Visitor's Bureau. This is the official link to the St Joseph Visitor's Bureau (Submitted on August 31, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
Additional keywords. Pony Express
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,195 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2009, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.