Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ridgewood in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Abraham Godwin

 
 
Brigadier General Abraham Godwin Monument image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 26, 2009
1. Brigadier General Abraham Godwin Monument
Inscription. Brigadier General Abraham Godwin
Soldier, Statesman, artist, poet, engraver, musician and gracious host. Born July 16, 1763.

His career began at the age of thirteen when his brother, David, aged eleven, he left home at Totowa to join Captain Woolverton's Minute Men with the mother's consent. The boys were musicians. Abraham playing a fife, David a drum. Their destination was a station at the corner of Partition and Horse and Cart Streets, New York City, now Fulton and William Streets. There the boys saw their father who had been commissioned Captain of Marines aboard the Lady Washington lying in port.

Abraham went to Fishkill joining his brother, Captain Henry Godwin's regiment, the Fifth of the Line, January 17, 1777, as a fife major.

The regiment was ordered to Fort Montgomery to lay the chain across the Hudson River. He was in the Governor's life guard at Schenectady protecting the frontier at Lake Otsego under General Sullivan during the Finger Lakes campaign and at Yorktown, where he witnessed the surrender of Cornwallis to Washington.

After the war he married, settled in Totowa, now Patterson and devoted himself to the fine arts, and the pursuit of civil life; was elected to the Legislature 1803-07; Rose to Rank of Brigadier General New Jersey State Militia in 1814 marched a Company
Left Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 26, 2009
2. Left Tablet
of Paterson volunteers to Sandy Hook was received with great acclaim and worked on the entrenchments; 1828 nominated for Presidential elector on the Jackson ticket.

January 1st 1829 occured the great event of interest to this community: its first name was Godwinville in honor of Abraham Godwin. This section covered Parmus, Newtown (Wortendyke) Midlank Park, Ridgewood and Glen Rock and was known as Franklin Township.

Godwin Avenue, formerly Godwinville Road is the only remnant of the honor conferred on him and was much cherished by Abraham Godwin.

He passed to the greater life 1855.

Erected by the Village of Ridgewood NJ 1951
Dr. John B. Hopper, Mayor
James S. Anderson William F. Moore Commissioners
 
Erected 1951.
 
Location. 40° 58.749′ N, 74° 7.048′ W. Marker is in Ridgewood, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Ridgewood Avenue and Van Neste Square, on the right when traveling south on E. Ridgewood Avenue. Touch for map. Located in Ridgewood Municipal Park. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgewood NJ 07451, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ridgewood Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Ridgewood 9-11 Memorial
Right Tablet image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 26, 2009
3. Right Tablet
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Archibald – Vroom House (about 400 feet away); Beech Street School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph H. Chapman Summer Residence (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Glen Avenue (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hopper House (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Red Brick Schoolhouse (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgewood.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PersonsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Relief Map of the Area on the Back of the Monument. image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 26, 2009
4. Relief Map of the Area on the Back of the Monument.
Relief Map
of
First Hamlet
and
Developments
Godwinville 1829
Ridgewood 1866

Scale 1" = 300'
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement