Flat Iron in Westmoreland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Popes Creek Episcopal Church
Erected 1959 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number J-69-a.)
Location. 38° 9.144′ N, 76° 55.367′ W. Marker is in Flat Iron, Virginia, in Westmoreland County. Marker is at the intersection of Kings Highway (Virginia Route 3) and Longwood Road (County Route 624), on the right when traveling east on Kings Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montross VA 22520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Washington’s Birthplace (approx. 2 miles away); Free to Fight (approx. 2.1 miles away); “O! say can you see…” (approx. 2.1 miles away); War in the Chesapeake (approx. George Washington Birthplace Site (approx. 2.1 miles away); Explore a trail network (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Historic Area (approx. 2.2 miles away); Popes Creek Plantation (approx. 2.2 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Pope’s Creek (Virginia). Wikipedia entry. Discusses the Popes and their neighbors to the west, the Washingtons. “After moving from Maryland, Nathaniel Pope, in 1651, patented 1,050 acres in Old Northumberland between two large creeks; one would bear his name. At Mattox Creek he built dwellings, warehouses, and docks for the merchant trade with England including the port of Bristol. He shipped beaver, tobacco with caske, and raw materials; and he imported English manufactured goods. He settled the argument between John Washington and shipping partner Edward Prescott by paying off the senior officer in Beaver skins at eight shillings per pound. In 1655 he was made Lieutenant-Colonel in the militia.” (Submitted on September 3, 2009.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,455 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.