Lexington in Lexington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lexington County Confederate Monument
who went forth to
battle for their
And gave their lives
in the service of the
[List of Names]
To Our Confederate Dead
in deathless fame
our grateful hearts
[List of Names]
Sleep on in silent
[List of Names]
Erected 1886 by Women of Lexington County.
Location. 33° 58.833′ N, 81° 14.167′ W. Marker is in Lexington, South Carolina, in Lexington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Lake Drive (State Highway 6) and East Main Street (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south on South Lake Drive. Touch for map. Monument located on the east lawn of the Old Lexington County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 East Main Street, Lexington SC 29072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lexington County World War I Monument (here, next to this marker); Lexington Courthouses Lexington County Veterans Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Time Religion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lexington Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Stephen's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tomb of Dr. E.L. Hazelius (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hazelius House (approx. half a mile away); Daniel Koon House (approx. half a mile away); John Fox House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
1. About the Lexington County Confederate Monument
Mrs. M.Y Harth was president of the Ladies' Monumental Association of Lexington in 1886. She led the women of the Association in erecting this twenty-foot monument.
The base is gray granite, and the shaft is white marble. There are sculpted cannon balls at the pinnacle of the shaft. The names engraved on the monuument are those men from Lexington District who died in the war.
The ladies unveiled the monument on July 3, 1886, on the lawn of the fourth Lexington County Courthouse, which had been built in 1884. It replaced a log building, the third courthouse, which had been erected to replace the stately antebellum courthouse Sherman's troops burned in February 1865. The 1884 courthouse was located across Main Street from the present courthouse. The present courthouse is Lexington County's fifth and was dedicated in 1940. The monument was moved from the lawn of the 1884 courthouse across Main Street to its present location on the lawn of the 1940 courthouse sometime after 1940. (Source: A Guide to Confederate Monuments in South Carolina: "Passing the Silent Cup" by Robert S. Seigler (1997), pgs 399-404.)
— Submitted September 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Heroes • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 890 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.