Stafford in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-75.)
Location. 38° 22.53′ N, 77° 27.087′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) 0.4 miles north of Centreport Parkway, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stafford VA 22555, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kidnapping of Pocahontas (here, next to this marker); "Lest We Forget" (approx. 1.2 miles away); Land for God's Work (approx. 1˝ miles away); Milton Snellings (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hulls Memorial Baptist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Original Bell of Hulls Memorial Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); History at Leeland Station (approx. 2.3 miles away); From Indian Path to Highway (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stafford.
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker with the same number and title erected in the late 1920s or early 1930s south of here (about 4 miles north of Fredericksburg). It read, “At Potomac Neck, four miles east, land was laid off in 1691 for a port and the town of Stafford County, called Marlborough. Houses were built and the county court was held there for some years. The town did not grow, and in 1747, John Mercer bought the county’s rights in it.”
Categories. • Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,832 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.