Leeds in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Richmond Terminal Co. operated Georgia - Pacific lines until 1888 when Richmond & Danville RR took over, succeeded by Southern Railway in 1894. Efforts to save the historic building were started in 1980 after Southern merged with Norfolk to become Norfolk-Southern RR. The restoration project was completed in 1984, 100 years following its construction.
In 1999 the City of Leeds renovated the baggage room, turning it into a public meeting room. Two museum rooms in the Depot feature railroad history, records and artifacts.
The Depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, and is listed in the Register of the Jefferson County Historical Commission and the Alabama Historical Commission's Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
Location. 33° 32.634′ N, 86° 32.352′ W. Marker is in Leeds, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Thornton Avenue, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leeds AL 35094, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured John Henry (here, next to this marker); Leeds Benchmarks In History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jonathan Bass House Museum (approx. 1.1 miles away); Congressional Medal Of Honor Recipients (approx. 1.4 miles away); Rowan House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Sidney Word Lee (approx. 4½ miles away); Mt. Hebron School (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leeds.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,370 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.