Near Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This Boulder Marks the National Trail
—General Braddock Monument —
Erected 1924 by the Frederick Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Braddock’s Road and Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock, and the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 25.324′ N, 77° 29.913′ W. Marker is near Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) east of Urner Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frederick MD 21702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hagan’s Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Braddock-Washington Monument (approx. half a mile away); General Edward Braddock (approx. 1.9 miles away); Woodmere (approx. 2.3 miles away); Charlie Keller (approx. 2.7 miles away); Christ Reformed Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Middletown (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Arnett Building (approx. 2.9 miles away).
More about this marker. An art nouveau typeface is used for the inscription below a bas-relief
Also see . . .
1. Braddock monument moved. This article by Karen Gardner was originally published in the Frederick News-Post on August 26, 2009. (Submitted on September 24, 2009.)
2. Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum. Braddock-Washington Monument, (sculpture). (Submitted on June 16, 2012.)
1. Marker History and Preservation Efforts
The memorial was proposed in 1913 and the Frederick Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution sponsored lectures and card parties, and purchased a Liberty bond, eventually raising $754.54 to erect the memorial. The bronze relief tablet by sculptor Edward Berge is mounted on a large boulder taken from Braddock Mountain and placed by the Grove Lime Company. The Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated the monument on June 14, 1924 as part of their effort to mark the old trails west.
The tablet depicts British General Edward Braddock, his aide Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, and an unnamed third man (kneeling behind Braddock) as they stopped to drink from a spring along the road to Fort Duquesne in 1755 during the French and Indian War.
In 1952, the piece was moved because of road construction and so it would be closer to the spring from which Braddock and Washington
In August of 2009 the boulder was moved about 1/2 mile west to the old scenic overlook on th ewestern slope of Braddock Heights overlooking Middletown Valley. The new spot is more visible and more accessible to visitors.
— Submitted November 29, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,928 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on September 7, 2009, by Bob Smart of Middletown, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on June 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 5. submitted on June 17, 2010, by Cindy Stegle of Frederick, Maryland. 6. submitted on April 12, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 29, 2012, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.