Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector
These troops were shifted E. from Peachtree Rd. to fill an interval between that rd. & the 23rd A.C. on Briarcliff. They faced the salient angle of Atlanta’s outer defense line 1/4 mi. S. held by Stevenson’s div., Cheatham’s A.C. [CS].
Early the 22d, Cheatham withdrew to the city; 4th & 23d A.C. troops advanced to the siege line at the Augustus Hurt house.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-74.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 47.858′ N, 84° 20.981′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Lenox Road NE and Johnson Road NE, on the left when traveling south on Lenox Road Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30306, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cheatham's Salient (approx. ¼ mile away); 4th A.C. at Durand's Mill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Closing the Gap (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Ground (approx. 0.8 miles away); Durand's Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wood’s Div. 4th Corps (approx. one mile away); Stevenson's Division (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bate’s Division (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 922 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.