Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Public Store

 
 
The Public Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 30, 2009
1. The Public Store Marker
Inscription.
On this site
stood in Colonial days
March 29, 1734
the public store, the first
store of the
English colonists

 
Erected 1929 by Bonaventure Chapter, D.A.R.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 32° 4.789′ N, 81° 5.45′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on East St. Julian Street near Bull Street. Touch for map. Located on the wall of the bank building, east side of Johnson Square. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Christ Church (within shouting distance of this marker); John Herndon Mercer 1909 - 1976 (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington’s Southern Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathanael Greene Monument (within
The Public Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 30, 2009
2. The Public Store Marker
Lower plaque, beneath the Bank of America period sign
shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Johnson Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Savannah Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
Regarding The Public Store. Johnson Square is named for Governor Robert Johnson of South Carolina who befriended the colonists when Georgia was first settled. It was laid out by Oglethorpe and by Colonel William Bull in 1733, and was the first of Savannah's squares. In early colonial days the public stores, the house for strangers, the church, and the public bake oven stood on the trust lots around it.
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 744 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement