Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Public Oven and Home for Strangers
March 29, 1734
when Savannah was an English colony
the public oven and next door
22-24 Congress St.
The house for strangers
Erected 1929 by Bonaventure Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 32° 4.79′ N, 81° 5.542′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on West Congress Street near Bull Street. Touch for map. Located on the former bank building, south wall, at Johnson Square's southwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Plan of Savannah (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathanael Greene Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnson Square (about 300 feet away); Washington’s Southern Tour (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Johnson Square (about 300 feet away); Savannah Historic District Tondee's Tavern (about 300 feet away); John Herndon Mercer 1909 - 1976 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding The Public Oven and Home for Strangers. Johnson Square is named for Governor Robert Johnson of South Carolina who befriended the colonists when Georgia was first settled. It was laid out by Oglethorpe and by Colonel William Bull in 1733, and was the first of Savannah's squares. In early colonial days the public stores, the house for strangers, the church, and the public bake oven stood on the trust lots around it.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 903 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.