West Point in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
150 Pounder Armstrong Gun Captured at Fort Fisher, North Carolina – January 15, 1865
Shipped to the Military Academy in 1865, the gun was a prominent feature of Trophy Point for the next hundred years until the deterioration of the wooden carriage caused it to be removed from Trophy Point.
A faithful reproduction of the original seacoast carriage and the return of the Armstrong Gun to Trophy Point was a privileged salute to our alma mater on our fiftieth anniversary.
Erected 1982 by USMA Class of 1932.
Location. 41° 23.676′ N, 73° 57.5′ W. Marker is in West Point, New York, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from Washington Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at Trophy Point in the United States Military Academy. Marker is in this post office area: West Point NY 10996, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 8 Inch (150-pounder) Armstrong Gun (here, next to this marker); Battery Sherburne (within shouting distance of this marker); Douglas MacArthur (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Trophy Point (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Military Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Wars That Shaped the Nation (within shouting distance of this marker); Beat Navy Tunnel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel Thayer (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Point.
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains a relief image of the Armstrong Gun. The bottom features the logo of the Military Academy.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,813 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.