Near Baynesville in Westmoreland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Westmoreland State Park
Erected 1939 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number J-75.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 38° 8.812′ N, 76° 52.638′ W. Marker is near Baynesville, Virginia, in Westmoreland County. Marker is at the intersection of Kings Highway (Virginia Route 3) and State Park Road (Virginia Route 347), on the left when traveling east on Kings Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montross VA 22520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stratford and Chantilly (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Testament to Craftsmanship (approx. 1.2 miles away); Burrell Eskridge and His Son Vernon Eskridge Stratford Hall (approx. 1.6 miles away); To Keep in Perpetual Remembrance the Name of Thomas Lee (approx. 1.6 miles away); Tempting Target (approx. 1.8 miles away); War in the Chesapeake (approx. 1.8 miles away); Putting the Potomac on the Map (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Westmoreland. “The park extends about one and a half miles along the Potomac River, and its 1,311 acres neighbor the former homes of both George Washington and Robert E. Lee. The park’s Horsehead Cliffs provide visitors with a spectacular view of the Potomac River. In addition to the scenic beauty at Westmoreland, the park offers hiking, camping, cabins, fishing, boating and swimming.” (Submitted on September 9, 2009.)
2. Clifts Plantation (44WM33). “Permanent English settlement of Westmoreland County began in the late 1640s. Many of the earliest settlers in the region were immigrants from Maryland, among them Nathanial Pope, who first patented the land on which The Clifts was located in 1651. Pope, who lived up river from the Clifts tract at the confluence of Mattox (Appomattox) Creek and the Potomac, was among the county’s wealthiest residents at his death in 1660 when he left The Clifts tract to his son Thomas.” (Submitted on September 9, 2009.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the park • Can you help?