Willow Grove in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Willow Grove United Methodist Church, 1889
This is the oldest church in Upper Moreland Township. It was organized by George W. Quigley and David Cherry, who in 1887 along with other residents, decided to revive interest in weekly prayer meetings that had been in operation some years before. In 1888, they organized regular Sabbath School sessions. The Local Preachers Association of Philadelphia aided the group by providing ministers, and the group's first service was held on May 20, 1888 in the old Farmer's Cooperative Creamery Hall on Davis Road. In March 1889, the Methodist Conference sent Rev. W. C. Graff as the first pastor.
In 1891, construction began on a permanent church on two lots purchased from David Cherry for $600. In 1894 and three times again in 1895, the church was set on fire by arsonists and destroyed. The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1897, and a Sunday School building added in 1903. George W. Quigley served as Sunday School Superintendent from 1888 until his death in 1918.
In 1928, the Sunday School building was nearly doubled in size. In 1958, a new sanctuary, a fellowship hall and several classrooms were constructed to accommodate the growing church membership.
In 1963, the Church purchased the property at the corner of Cherry Street and York Road and after remodeling the structure existing on the site, named it Aldersgate
Construction of a new Education Building was begun in 1970 and dedicated on September 26, 1971.
Erected by Upper Moreland Historical Association.
Location. 40° 8.507′ N, 75° 6.751′ W. Marker is in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Old York Road (Pennsylvania Route 263) and Church Street, on the right when traveling south on Old York Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Willow Grove PA 19090, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Fountain House Inn, 1717 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial Hall, 1925 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Red Lion Inn, 1776 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Manor House, ca. 1719 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abington District World War I Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Old Abington Church and Graveyard (approx. 2 miles away); Abington Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Reverend Samuel Finley (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Willow Grove.
Also see . . . History of Willow Grove United Methodist Church. (Submitted on September 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.