Abington in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Abington Church and Graveyard
The oldest Presbyterian church in Montgomery County and mother church, directly or indirectly, to ten offspring churches. Founded in 1714 by the Rev. Malachi Jones, the first pastor. The original church stood in the center of the graveyard and was moved to present site in 1793. During the American Revolution local militia skirmished with British from graveyard. Early settlers of Abington were English Quakers, Welsh, Scots, and Dutch.
Location. 40° 6.867′ N, 75° 7.324′ W. Marker is in Abington, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Old York Road (Pennsylvania Route 611) and Susquehanna Road, on the right when traveling south on Old York Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abington PA 19001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abington District World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Abington Presbyterian Church Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Reverend Samuel Finley (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Patriots Buried in the Abington Presbyterian Church Graveyard (within shouting distance Willow Grove United Methodist Church, 1889 (approx. 2 miles away); The Fountain House Inn, 1717 (approx. 2 miles away); The Manor House, ca. 1719 (approx. 2.1 miles away); Memorial Hall, 1925 (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abington.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,040 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.