Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cheshire in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Cheshire

 
 
Cheshire Marker [front] image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 10, 2009
1. Cheshire Marker [front]
Inscription. Settled in 1695 as Wallingford “West Farms”, this area obtained status as the village of New Cheshire in 1723. It was incorporated as a town in 1780. Cheshire became famous for its agricultural productivity and light manufacturing. Copper was mined here in the eighteenth century, the mineral barytes in the nineteenth. The Farmington Canal was completed through town in 1825. Cheshire is renowned for the Episcopal Academy, now Cheshire Academy, founded in 1794 by Samuel Seabury, first Episcopal Bishop of Connecticut. Former students include financier John Pierpont Morgan, Jr.; Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy under President Lincoln; Civil War Admiral Andrew Foote; and Confederate General Joseph Wheeler.
(Continued on other side


(Continued from other side)
The Congregational Church was completed in 1827 to a design by David Hoadley, noted architect of New Haven. Among famous hostelries here were Beach Tavern, the Wallace and Munson Hotels, and the Waverly Inn. Cheshire is the site of the State Correctional Institution founded in 1910, and is the mother-town of Prospect, Connecticut, and Burton, Ohio, Among its famous sons are Governor Samuel A. Foote; Amos Doolittle, early silversmith and engraver; landscape artist John Frederick Kensett;
Cheshire Marker [back] image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 10, 2009
2. Cheshire Marker [back]
Lambert Hitchcock, maker of popular chairs bearing his name; and Commodore Robert Hitchcock.
Erected by the Cheshire American Revolution
Bicentennial Committee
the Town of Cheshire
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1976

 
Erected 1976 by Cheshire American Revolution Bicentennial Committee, Town of Cheshire, Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 29.896′ N, 72° 54.11′ W. Marker is in Cheshire, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Drive and South Main Street (Connecticut Route 10), on the left when traveling north on Church Drive. Touch for map. Located adjacent to the Hitchcock Phillips House, home of the Cheshire Historical Society. Marker is in this post office area: Cheshire CT 06410, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Church Of Cheshire (a few steps from this marker); Cheshire Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Cheshire Memorial Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Cheshire World War I Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Cheshire Revolutionary War Monument
Cheshire Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, September 16, 2009
3. Cheshire Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); "Stepping Stone" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Medal of Honor Plaza and “Living Classroom” (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lock 12 (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheshire.
 
Also see . . .  Cheshire Walking Tour. This walking tour brochure and historical information is published by the Cheshire Historical Society. (Submitted on September 16, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,577 times since then and 143 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.   3. submitted on September 16, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement