Edinburg in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Batchellerville Presbyterian Church
Erected 1867, Moved To
Present Site 1930 To Escape
Rising Waters Of
Erected by Town of Edinburg.
Location. 43° 12.551′ N, 74° 4.893′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on South Shore Road near Degolia Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker, and the church building, are located near the east end of the Batchellerville Bridge which crosses the Sacandaga Lake. Marker is in this post office area: Northville NY 12134, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Building the Batchellerville Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Great Sacandaga Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Batcheller Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Country Store (about 500 feet away); Batchellerville (about 500 feet away); Covered Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); Carriage Shop (approx. 1.3 miles away); Beecher's Store (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edinburg.
Regarding Batchellerville Presbyterian Church.
History of Batchellerville Presbyterian Church
The Batchellerville Presbyterian Church traces its roots to the early pioneering days when New England settlers found their way westward, “with a torch for religion in one hand and education in another, “as the history writers tell it.
It is recorder that on September 5, 1808, a meeting was called at the house of James Goodwin, Esquire, in Edinburg, and a Congregational church of 21 members organized, composed of families by the names of Daniel, Lydia, and Lucy Knight, Isaac and Sally Noyes, David and Lydia Stoddard, Phineas and Polly Warren, David C. and Eunice Jones, John and Susan Gordon, Ebenezer and Sarah Sherwin, Lydia Beecher, Sally Houghtalin, Abigail Stimson, James and Abigail Goodwin, and Israel Woodford. They” pledged themselves to the service of the Lord“, holding worship and meetings in the school houses, private homes, and sometimes in barns.
In 1814 a young evangelist, Reverend Truman Osbo>rn, visited the area and conducted a series of meetings on the west side of the river on Northampton Road. A great revival ensued, resulting in a church edifice erected in 1815. The church was organized Presbyterian, and for 16 years all worshiped together here.
Attending church was an all-day event, with people traveling on foot five or six miles,
As homes increased in the valley, another house of worship was built. The site was in Edinburg on the west bank of the Sacandaga River where the roads from each side of the fiver united. The building was started in 1822 and completed in 1824. The membership of this church remained the Congregational church of Edinburg, with thirty members. They remained until 1867, when a February 14 resolution was passed to change he form of government to Presbyterian.
Signs of the times also indicated the need for a new building – this one to be erected on the east bank of the river, in the thriving little village of Batchellerville. Elders and Deacons were elected, and the place of worship moved to a new edifice in the village, now connected with the Presbytery of Albany.
The dedication of the new church building (the present building) was postponed until October 2, 1867 in order that there would be no debt. The cost was about $8,000 and the Meneely bell (1,040 lbs) was over $500.
During the next thirty years about 300 people joined the church, and on one memorable occasion 60 new members were received at a single service!
1897 marked the thirtieth anniversary of the church, October 2-3rd, with luncheons and socials.
In 931, when the village of Batchellerville was inundated by the waters of the Sacandaga Reservoir, the church building was moved to its present site.
The Reverend Alan Marcley served the church for thirty years (1924 – 1954). The membership became depleted in the mid-fifties, but the church was kept open for summer visitors. In fact, that was the condition upon which an agreement was made, and Batchellerville and Northville Presbyterians became a united congregation in 1959.
Ten months out of the year Batchellerville is closed, but July through Labor Day finds the door wide open, the bell ringing out, calling members, visitors, and friends alike to worship in the “little white church by the lake!”
Additional keywords. Sacandaga Batchellerville Edinburg Edinburgh Northville
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,239 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 11, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 10, 11. submitted on August 31, 2014, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.