Virginia City in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Savage Mining Co.
Comstock Historical Marker No. 3
[A Second Marker – Plaque Mounted to the Right of the Steps]
Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States and “General of the Armies,” spoke to the townspeople from the second floor balcony on October 27, 1879, after a town parade in his honor.
Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology
Nevada Landmarks Society
Erected 2009 by Marshall Earth Resources, Hugh Roy Marshall, Virginia City, Nevada. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 39° 18.321′ N, 119° 39.062′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on North D Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 North D Street, Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Savage Mansion (c. 1861) (here, next to this marker); Hale & Norcross Mining Co. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frank Bell (about 600 feet away); Mackay Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Mackay Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gould & Curry Offices C. J. Prescott House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Engineering Marvels on the Comstock (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
More about this marker. This building now houses the Corporate Office of HRM Enterprises.
Also see . . . Three Historic Nevada Cities. Savage Mining Company Office (Submitted on September 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Additional keywords. Comstock Lode
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,145 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.