Andice in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Andice Baptist Church
The Rev. Freeman Smalley, one of the first Baptists in Texas, preached in this area about 1850. This church was organized about 1851, meeting in a log schoolhouse built by Joshua Stapp and others, 1854-76; in a new school building, 1876-94; and in a structure of its own at Pilot Knob, 1894-1936. Successively called “Stapp,” “White House,” and “Pilot Knob” Baptist Church, the congregation moved to Andice in 1936. It now worships near the original site, where the first pastor, Josiah Andrews, used to hang his pistol on a peg on the hewn, oak-stump Bible stand while he preached.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9029.)
Location. 30° 46.912′ N, 97° 51.263′ W. Marker is in Andice, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Fm 970. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6570 Fm 970, Georgetown TX 78628, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Loafer's Glory Apostolic Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Gabriel Mills (approx. 3.9 miles away); Smart-McCormick Home (approx. 4.2 miles away); Fore Cemetery Williams-Buck Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Mahomet Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Rock House Community (approx. 5.4 miles away); Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andice.
Also see . . .
1. Andice, Texas. (Submitted on April 21, 2011, by Wayne Ware of Georgetown, Texas.)
2. Andice Baptist Church - Williamson County Historical Commission. Contains information on the marker and a history of the church. (Submitted on February 10, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
3. Andice Baptist Church History. (Submitted on February 10, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,657 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.