Savage Mill in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Vital Service to the Union
The mill town of Savage served a vital need for the United States Army after the Civil War began in 1861. William Baldwin who had purchased the mills in 1859 manufactured canvas for cannon covers and tents. Although cotton was in short supply, Baldwin succeeded in acquiring enough to keep the mill operating.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Line transported Federal troops who occasionally camped in the meadow on the north side of Savage Switch.
Near here, at Annapolis Junction, Union soldiers en route to Washington in April 1861 managed to avoid the Baltimore Riots. When General Benjamin F. Butler and his Massachusetts regiments arrived in Annapolis by boat via the Chesapeake Bay, they found that Confederate sympathizers had destroyed much of the track and equipment of the Elkridge spur of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The soldiers repaired a locomotive and cars, rebuilt the tracks, boarded the train and made their way to Washington. Other Federal troops occupied Relay and eventually Baltimore.
John Savage of Pennsylvania founded Savage Mill, among the oldest surviving textile mills in Maryland, and constructed this facility early in the 19th century. The stone carding and spinning building was built between 1816 and 1823. Mills have been here on the rapids of the Little Patuxent River since the mid-18th
Savage Mill as it looked in the late 19th century.
Annapolis Junction in the mid-nineteenth century.
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 8.076′ N, 76° 49.505′ W. Marker is in Savage Mill, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker can be reached from Foundry Street north of Gorman Road when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is on the Savage Mill Trail (Howard County Recreation and Parks Department), off Foundry Street, in the cluster of markers at the south end of the Bollman Iron Truss Bridge (National Historic Landmark) at the Little Patuxent River and west of U.S. Highway 1. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9040 Gorman Road, Savage MD 20763, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bollman Iron Truss Bridge (here, next to this marker); Historic Savage Mill (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carroll Baldwin Memorial Hall This Survey Point (approx. 0.4 miles away); Governor Harry R. Hughes (approx. 1.3 miles away); Annapolis and Elk Ridge Railroad (approx. 1.7 miles away); Riverfront Park (approx. 2.2 miles away); Patuxent River (approx. 2.2 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,410 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 14, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.