Munich, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
Miesbach to Munich Power Transmission
Translated, the marker reads:
Here in October 1882 on the occasion of the International Electricity Exhibition was the world's first transmission of high-tension electrical current, from Miesbach to Munich. The creators of this work, Oskar von Miller and Marcel Deprez, thus paved the way for the use of remote energy sources. The Association of German Electrical Engineers, September 1952. Telegraph wires (as) line 2 X 57 kilometers. Voltage: 1,350 to 2,000 volts direct current (DC).
Erected 1952 by Der Verband Deutscher Elektrotechniker.
Location. 48° 8.511′ N, 11° 33.917′ E. Marker is in Munich, Bavaria. Marker can be reached from Sophienstrasse near Elisenstrasse. Touch for map. The marker is located in the Alter Botanischer
The marker is located in a grove of trees, just several steps to the west of the Kunstpavilion (Art Pavilion). It is also visible just to the north of the Neptunbrunnen, the large fountain with a statue of Neptune. Marker is at or near this postal address: Sophienstrasse 7a, Munich, Bavaria 80333, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gottfried Keller (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Wilhelminische or Old Academy Building (approx. half a kilometer away); The Church of Saint Michael (approx. half a kilometer away); Georg Lankensperger (approx. half a kilometer away); Maximilian Joseph - Earl of Montgelas (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Cathedral Church of Our Lady (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Expansion of the Church of Our Lady Lane (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Franz Marc (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Munich.
Regarding Miesbach to Munich Power Transmission.
• A steam-driven 1.5 hp dynamo in Miesbach, some 35 miles from Munich, generated direct current which was transmitted over telegraph wire to the International Electricity Exhibition, powering a pump that operated an 8-foot high artificial waterfall in the Glaspalast (Glass Palace). The telegraph wire used was not designed for this purpose and failed after several days. However, the exhibit successfully demonstrated the ability to transmit power over long distances.
• Oskar von Miller (mentioned on the marker) later became co-director of German Edison Company (which later became AEG). In 1884 he built the Germany's first electrical works, in Munich. He is perhaps best known for founding the Deutsches Museum, the largest museum of science and technology in the world.
• Marcel Deprez (mentioned on the marker) was a French electrical engineer who from 1876-1886 performed some of the first experiments in the transmission of electrical power using direct current.
Also see . . . Miesbach-Munich Power Transmission. Wikipedia.org's article on the Miesbach-Munich power transmission. (Submitted on September 16, 2009.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Events • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,364 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 15, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on September 16, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.