Village of Chester in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Covering about half of present Orange County was granted by Gov. Cornbury Mar. 5, 1703 to John Bridges and eleven associates.
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
Location. 41° 21.621′ N, 74° 16.53′ W. Marker is in Village of Chester, New York, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and NYS 94 (High Street) (New York State Route 94), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Between Walton Hose Co. Fire House and 79 Main St, Chester, NY 10918, just off the intersection with NYS Route 94. Marker is at or near this postal address: 79 Main St Chester, NY 10918, Chester NY 10918, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War I Monument & Chester Bicentennial Commission Time Capsule (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean and Viet Nam Wars Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Militia of Orange and Ulster (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Artillery Encampment 1779 (about 700 feet away); Hambletonian (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hambletonian Monument First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Yelverton Inn (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Village of Chester.
More about this marker. Marker moved to this location in 1970s or '80s due to repeated vandalism at the original, more isolated, location on NYS Route 17M near Seely Brook.
Regarding Wawayanda Patent. This Wawayanda Patent, containing over 150,000 acres, is the basis of ownership of land in central Orange County, which was granted March 5, 1703 and confirmed in the then usual manner by Royal Authority during the reign of Queen Anne. The names of the twelve Indian granters were as follows: Rapingonick, Wawastawaw, Moghopuck, Comelawaw, Nanawitt, Ariwimack, Rumbout, Clauss, Chouckhass, Chingrpaw, Oshasquemonus, and Quliapaw. The names of the twelve original patentees were: Dr. John Bridges, LL.D., Hendrick TenEyck, Derick Vandenburgh, John Cholwell, Christopher Denn (Dean), Lancaster Syms, Daniel Honan (Herran), Philip Rockeby, John Meredith (Merritt), Benjamin Aske, Peter Mathews, Christian Christianse. Dr. Samuel Staats was subsquently added following a lawsuit from his earlier claim under the dissolved John Evans Patent. A border dispute with the neighboring Cheesecocks Patent was settled in favor to the Cheesecocks Patentees by a suit tried in 1785 at Yelverton’s Barn, Chester. Notably, Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, were the attorneys for the Wawayanda Patentees.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. This page has been viewed 944 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on September 17, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.