Point Pleasant in Mason County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
The Battle of Point Pleasant
The Chief Event of Lord Dunmore's War
—Point Pleasant Battle Monument —
This monument was erected in the year 1909 in commemoration of the Battle of Point Pleasant, fought at the mouth of the Great Kanawha River, now in West Virginia, October 10, 1774. Between twelve hundred and fifty Virginia colonel troops, composing the left wing of Lord Dunmore's Army, commanded by General Andrew Lewis, on the one side; and an equal number of warriors from the united Indian nations - Shawnees, Delawares, Mingoes, Wyandottes, Miamis, and Ottawas - Northwest of the Ohio, on the other. At the head of these warriors were the renowned Shawnee Chief, Keich-tuch-qua, known to Virginians as "Cornstalk," and his subordinate chieftains, Blue-Jacket, Black-Hoff, Red-Hawk, Elinipsico, Scopathus, Chi-ya-wee and puck-e-shin-wa, the last being killed in the battle , and thus leaving his son, Tecumseh, an orphan child. That day there was fought the most important battle ever waged between the forces of civilization and of barbarism in America; and on no other field of the colonial wars, was there displayed greater valor or bravery than on that at Point Pleasant.
Cornstalk's battle-cry-"Be Strong! Be Strong!" was often heard above the din
[Bottom Side Plaque, Facing South.]
Careful estimates, made from the most authentic documentary evidence extant, place the number killed at eighty-one. The following is a list of names of persons known to have been among the slain:-
Colonel Charles Lewis, Commanding the Augusta County Regiment.
Colonel John Field, of the Culpeper County Minute Men.
Captain John Murray, of the Botetourt County Regiment.
Captain Robert McClennahan, of the Botetourt County Regiment.
Captain Samuel Wilson, of the Augusta County Regiment.
Captain Charles Ward, of the Augusta County Regiment.
Lieutenant Hugh Allen, of Captain George Matthews'
Lieutenant Jonathan Cundiff, of Captain Thomas Buford's Company, of the Bedford County Riflemen.
Ensign amuel Baker, of Captain Henry Pauling's Company, of the Botetourt County Regiment.
Ensign Samuel Baker, of Captain Henry Paulding's company, of the Botetourt County Regiment.
Mark Williams, Roger Topp and Joseph Hughey, of Captain Evan Shelby's Company, of the Fincastle County Battalion.
James Mooney and - Hickman, of Captain William Russell's Company, of the Fincastle County Battalion.
George Cameron, of Captain George Mathews' Company, of the Augusta County Regiment.
Samuel Croley, organization to which he belonged not known.
[Top Side Plaque, Facing South.]
The Virginian Army
Fought the Battle of Point Pleasant.
Indian depredations on the Virginian frontier began early in 1774, and on the 12th of May, that year, Lord Dunmore, the Colonial Governor of Virginia, informed the House of Burgesses of the beginning of hostilities. that body, on the next day, directed him to put into force the laws against invasion and insurrection. He hastened over the Blue ridge and organized the right wing, or northern division of an army, commanded by himself, for the invasion of the Indian country northwest of the Ohio from "Rosegill," in Middlesex County, under date of July 12th. Lord Dunmore issued orders to General Andrew Lewis, to collect troops to form the left wing of the army, for the march into the Ohio wilderness. General Lewis issued a call for volunteers to assemble at Union, on the site of the present town of Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, now West Virginia.
General Andrew lewis, commanding Left Wing, or Southern Division.
The Augusta County Regiment.
Colonel Charles Lewis, Commanding (648 men.)
Captains of Companies.
Colonel William Fleming, Commanding (450 men.)
Captains of Companies.
Colonel William Christian, Commanding (350 men.)
CAPTAINS OF COMPANIES.
The army left Camp Union in September, in the following order: The Augusta regiment, on the 6th; the Culpeper Minute Men, on the 7th. The Botetourt Regiment, with the companies of Russell and Shelby, of the Fincastle Battalion, and the Bedford rifles, on the 12th; Herbert's Company, of the Fincastle Battalion, on the 23rd; and the remainder of the Fincastle Battalion, on the 27th. Except Captain Bledsoe who was left in command at that place. October 10th - the Battle Day - All the troops had arrived at the mouth of the Great Kanawha, except the last part of the Fincastle Battalion, then within thirty miles of that place, and the Dunmore County Volunteers, at the mouth of Elk River - now Charleston - the capital of West Virginia.
Location. 38° 50.358′ N, 82° 8.442′ W. Marker is in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, in Mason County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Point Pleasant WV 25550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Andrew Lewis (a few steps from this marker); Livia S. Poffenbarger (within shouting distance of this marker); Point Pleasant Battle / War of 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker); Ann Bailey (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mansion House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Magazine (within shouting distance of this marker); War of 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Cornstalk (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Point Pleasant.
More about this marker. This historical marker is the most notable and significant of several historical markers that are situated at the Point Pleasant Battlefield State Park, in downtown Point Pleasant, West Virginia. It is a tall stone shaft that dominates the landscape. The park itself is located on the east side of the Kanawha River at the point of its confluence with the Ohio River.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Point Pleasant. This link is provided by Absolute Astronomy. (Submitted on July 13, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. The Battle of Point Pleasant – October 10, 1774. This web link is published by the West Virginia, Department of Natural Resources, for any individuals that are interested in Tu-Endie-Wei, Point Pleasant Battle Monument State Park. (Submitted on July 13, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Battle of Point Pleasant. This link is published and made available by, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on July 13, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
4. Lord Dunmore's War and the Battle of Point Pleasant. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on July 13, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Smithsonian American Art Museum — Art Inventories Catalog description.
Dedicated October 10, 1909. It is an 84-foot tall granite obelisk with a statue of a colonial frontiersman located on the East side. The frontiersman stands on a horizontal
The frontiersman wears “button-up leggings” which extend from the arch of his foot to above the knee. He carries a pouch and powderhorn on his proper right side, held by a strap over his proper left shoulder. A broad-blade knife in a sheath is attached at his waist on his proper left side. He holds a raccoon cap at his proper right side. On the bottom West side of the monument is a bronze plaque depicting the Battle of Point Pleasant.
The figure is made of Westerly granite, the shaft Balfour granite, and the plaques are bronze.
The statue commemorates the Battle of Point Pleasant, which took place on Oct. 10, 1774, between 1,250 Virginia colonial troops composing the left wing of Lord Dunmore's army and an equal number of warriors from the united Indian nations — Shawnee, Delaware, Mingos, Wyandottes, Miamis, and Ottawas. The Indians were led by Shawnee Chief Keigh-tugh-qua (Cornstalk).
— Submitted October 24, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 5,920 times since then and 198 times this year. Last updated on September 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on July 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on October 24, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 8, 9. submitted on July 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 10. submitted on October 24, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.