Bethany in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
In 1738 Amity Parish in New Haven and Milford, including most of present-day Woodbridge and Bethany, was incorporated by the General Assembly of Connecticut Colony. The earliest schoolhouse was built in 1750 in the northern half of Amity Parish. It was located first at Rocky Corner, near the intersection of Meyer and Old Amity Roads. In 1762 the northern part of the Parish was made a distinct ecclesiastical society and was named Bethany for the Biblical village at the foot of the Mount of Olives near Jerusalem. In 1832, by act of the General Assembly, Bethany Parish was separated from Woodbridge and incorporated as the Town of Bethany. The Straitsville area was taken in 1844, together with parts of Oxford and Waterbury, to become Naugatuck. In 1871, also as a result of legislative action, the western area became part of Beacon Falls, incorporated as a town with portions added from Oxford, Naugatuck, and Seymour.
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1981 by Town of Bethany and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 25.342′ N, 73° 0.072′ W. Marker is in Bethany, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is on Peck Road 0.2 miles west of Amity Road (Connecticut Route 63), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front of Bethany Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 Peck Road, Bethany CT 06524, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethany Veterans Monument Bethany Veterans Wall Of Honor (approx. 2.1 miles away); Beacon Falls (approx. 3˝ miles away); Beacon Falls Veterans Monument (approx. 3˝ miles away); Seymour Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Seymour Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Seymour Korean War Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Seymour World War I – World War II Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethany.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,017 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. 4. submitted on September 21, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Beecher (or Hoadley) House, Christ Church and the United (North) Church as mentioned in marker text. • Can you help?