Fort Jefferson in Darke County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Jeﬀerson: A Link in a Chain
During the Indian War of 1790-1795, the United States felt it necessary to build forts in contested territory. Fort Jefferson was the fourth in that chain of fortifications, generally within a hard day's march of each other. It was constructed in October 1791 under the orders of General Arthur St. Clair, the governor of the Northwest Territory.
The various tribes of the region had been attacking the encroaching American population as they moved north of the Ohio River. In October 1791, General St. Clair set out on a mission to punish the tribes. On October 12, St. Clair ordered his forces to build a fort, named after then - Secretary of State, Thomas Jefferson, near a supply of fresh water.
Erected by Ohio Historical Society.
Location. 40° 1.562′ N, 84° 39.379′ W. Marker is in Fort Jefferson, Ohio, in Darke County. Marker is on Weavers-Fort Jefferson Road 0.1 miles west of Ohio Route 121, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville OH 45331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker St. Clair's Defeat (a few steps from this marker); Fort Jefferson (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Jefferson (within shouting distance of this marker); Studabaker School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fort Black (approx. 4.8 miles away); Commemorating Passage of the Lincoln Funeral Train (approx. 5 miles away); Tecumseh / Shawnee Prophet's Town (approx. 5.1 miles away); In Memory of Major John Mills (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Jefferson.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 860 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.