Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Highlands in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Old North Tower

 
 
The Old North Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
1. The Old North Tower Marker
Inscription. The Navesink Highlands Light Station originally consisted of two octagonal stone towers 320 feet apart. You are standing directly on the site of the 1828 north tower. Its replacement, completed in 1862, is behind you.
 
Erected by NJ Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks & Forestry.
 
Location. 40° 23.798′ N, 73° 59.153′ W. Marker is in Highlands, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Twin Lights Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Telegraph and Radar at Twin Lights (here, next to this marker); Marconi at Twin Lights (here, next to this marker); Spermaceti Cove Lifeboat Station (a few steps from this marker); Navesink Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Navesink Highlands Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Twin Lights Mystery Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Powerhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Highlands Doughboy World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highlands.
 
More about this marker.
Twin Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
2. Twin Light Marker
The background of the marker contains a picture of the original north tower at Navesink. It has a caption of “Sandy Hook, from the Lighthouses. This 1861 illustration shows the first north tower and the foundation of the new lighthouse being laid. The two smaller structures on the lighthouse property are the New York Sandy Hook Telegraph Company (1854) and the Merchants Exchange semaphore tower (1829). Artist Benjamin Lossing
 
Also see . . .  Twin Lights of Navesink website. (Submitted on September 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWaterways & Vessels
 
Markers at Twin Lights Historic Site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
3. Markers at Twin Lights Historic Site
Several markers are found at this location. The "Old North Tower" marker is the one in the center of the photo.
The New North Tower image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
4. The New North Tower
This tower replaced the Old North Tower mentioned on the marker.
The Old North Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
5. The Old North Tower Marker
The Old North Tower Marker (center) as viewed from the top of the present North Tower.
Twin Lights Historic Site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
6. Twin Lights Historic Site
The marker is located at the Twin Lights Historic Site
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement