Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Pike

 
 
Fort Pike Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen Bell, June 23, 2009
1. Fort Pike Marker
Inscription.  Historic state monument 5 miles west on US 90, was completed in 1828 to defend Rigolets Pass approach through Lake Pontchartrain to New Orleans. Named after Brigadier Gen. Zebulon Montgomery Pike.
 
Erected 1954 by Louisiana Department of Commerce and Industry.
 
Location. 30° 10.009′ N, 89° 44.238′ W. Marker is near New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker can be reached from U.S. 90. Marker is displayed on the ground outside the visitor center to the closed park, currently being rebuilt. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70129, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Tammany Fishing Pier (approx. 4 miles away); Indian Village (approx. 6.9 miles away); John Slidell (approx. 8 miles away); 1st United Methodist Church (approx. 8 miles away); City of Slidell Centennial (approx. 8 miles away); Slidell Town Hall and Jail (approx. 8 miles away); a different marker also named John Slidell (approx. 8 miles away); a different marker also named John Slidell (approx. 8.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.

1. Fort Pike from Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 1, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. Fort Pike - Louisiana. (Submitted on October 1, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitaryNotable Places
 

More. Search the internet for Fort Pike.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2009, by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 1,312 times since then and 39 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 27, 2009, by Stephen Bell of Biloxi, Mississippi. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement