Hamilton in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
U.S.S. Harris County
LST U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY participated in the invasion of Okinawa, occupation of Japan, retaking of Iwo Jima, amphibious training operations at Inchon, Korea and Kimmu Wan, Okinawa. During the Korean War she was used for re-supply and logistic support. She aided in evacuation in French Indo-China. In June 1955 she received orders to lead an expedition to the Arctic on a Re-supply Mission.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 072-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 45.529′ N, 84° 52.495′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of North College Street (U.S. 27) and Barnes Mill Road, on the right when traveling north on North College Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the Harris County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Hamilton GA 31811, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this Harris County (here, next to this marker); B. F. White (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbus Baptist Association (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hamilton Female College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Valley of Hope (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pine Mountain Valley Resettlement Project (approx. 4.2 miles away); Callaway Gardens (approx. 5 miles away); The J.L. Hand Gazebo (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Regarding U.S.S. Harris County. The bell once stood in front of the courthouse but has been moved.
Categories. • 20th Century • War, Korean • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 927 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.