Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
The Lower Main Mill
Translated, the marker reads:
From 1644-1921 here stood the Lower Main Mill, built by Prince-bishop Johann Philipp von Schoenborn. In its place this building was built in the years 1921-1923 as the first power plant of the Greater Rhine-Main-Danube Navigational Route.
Location. 49° 47.598′ N, 9° 55.627′ E. Marker is in Würzburg, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Mainkai and Karmelitenstrasse, on the left when traveling north on Mainkai. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Mainkai 1, Würzburg, Bavaria 97070, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Cranes (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Der Kreuzgang des Neumuensterstiftes / The Cloister of the Neumuenster Seminary (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Schönbornkapelle / Schönborn Chapel (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Hof Guttenberg / St. Gallus House (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Antonius Neidhardt Graf von Gneisenau / Field Marshal Antonius Neidhardt, Count of Gneisenau Johann Lukas Schönlein (approx. half a kilometer away); Priesterseminar / Seminary (approx. half a kilometer away); Rabbiner Seligmann Bär Bamberger (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Würzburg.
Also see . . .
1. Alte Mainmuehle. The restaurant's website. Click on the English flag for English. then click on the "Alte Mainmuehle" choice on the left. Then for the history, click on "History" on the right. (Submitted on September 29, 2009.)
2. Pegel Würzburg. Wikipedia.org's extensive (German language) article on the point of measurement of the Main River's flow in Wuerzburg. The section on both the mill and the power plant under the heading "Mühlen", about 3/4 down the page. Includes pictures. (Submitted on September 29, 2009.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,197 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 29, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.