Farmington in San Juan County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Footloose in Farmington:
A Historic Perspective of Downtown
Location. 36° 43.754′ N, 108° 12.33′ W. Marker is in Farmington, New Mexico, in San Juan County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Orchard Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is near the pavilion and fountain in Hunter Plaza on the corner of Orchard and Main. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 West Main Street, Farmington NM 87401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within Farmington, New Mexico (approx. 0.4 miles away); Harriet Belle Amsden Sammons (1876-1954) (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Farmington (approx. 4.3 miles away); Salmon Ruin (approx. 10 miles away); City of Bloomfield (approx. 10.8 miles away); Aztec Ruins National Monument (approx. 12.7 miles away).
More about this marker. Most experts disagree that the Navajo word "Tota'" means "waters, three" (three rivers). It actually means "waters [flowing] together", or place where the rivers meet. In Farmington the Animas and LaPlata rivers flow into the San Juan.
Regarding Footloose in Farmington:. Approximately 8 blocks of Farmington's downtown area was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 20, 2002. It features late 19th and early 20th-century buildings. Farmington has long been the commercial hub of the Four Corners region and has a population nearly 4 times that of Durango, Colorado (50 miles to the north). On weekends many people come to Farmington to do their shopping from the Navajo, Southern Ute, and Apache Reservations and from small towns in a 60-mile radius.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,039 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 30, 2009. 7, 8. submitted on December 7, 2011, by Mark Lashley of Austin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.