Winchester in Frederick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
General Daniel Morgan / Winchester
(South Side): At first called Fredericktown, it was founded in 1744, near a Shawnee Indian village, by Colonel James Wood, a native of the English city of Winchester. The town was situated in Lord Fairfax’s proprietary of the Northern Neck. It was chartered in 1752.
Erected 1930 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Q 4a.)
Location. 39° 9.693′ N, 78° 9.265′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia, in Frederick County. Marker is at the intersection of Millwood Pike (U.S. 17 / 50) and Front Royal Pike (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling west on Millwood Pike. Touch for map. Just before the entrance ramp for I-81. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abram’s Delight (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Hollingsworth Family Settlement Abram’s Delight (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shawnee Springs Hospital (approx. ¾ mile away); First Battle of Winchester (approx. 1.3 miles away); Patsy Cline: Country Music Singer (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mississippi (approx. 1.4 miles away); Alabama (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
More about this marker. This is one in a “set” of Q 4 markers around Winchester, running from Q 4a to Q 4h.
Photo 3 puts this marker just outside of the city limits of Winchester, in Frederick County, while Arnold’s A guidebook to Virginia’s Historical Markers puts it in Winchester.
Also see . . .
1. Winchester, Virginia. Official city web site. (Submitted on August 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. General Daniel Morgan. (Submitted on August 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,588 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on September 3, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on August 25, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.