Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Johnson City in Washington County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Science Hill

Male & Female Institute

 
 
Science Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 27, 2009
1. Science Hill Marker
Inscription. Tipton Jobe, on Feb. 14, 1867, gave land on this hill above Nobb Spring where members of Science Hill Literary Society then built the first brick building in the area to house this school. It was dedicated Oct.27, 1867. The dedicatory sermon was by Elijah E. Hoss, later a bishop in the Methodist Church.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 58.)
 
Location. 36° 19.132′ N, 82° 21.103′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Tennessee, in Washington County. Marker is on East Downtown Loop near North Roan Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnson City TN 37601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Cole Williams (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnson City (approx. 0.2 miles away); East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Langston High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colored Christian Church and Colored School (approx. 0.4 miles away); State Flag (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brush Creek Campground (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robins’ Roost (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
 
Categories. Education
 
Science Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 27, 2009
2. Science Hill Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 1, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement